MSc Scholarship or Research Assistant position (Reference: MSc/RA 043/2014/A1)
Project name: MagIC – Petrology and Geochemistry of Igneous Rocks from Macao: Implications for the Crustal Evolution of Southern China / 澳门火成岩之岩石学与地球化学—对华南地壳演化的影响). Project details here.
Please, contact the Project coordinator for further details: Prof. Ágata Alveirinho Dias
Description: A call is currently open for a MSc scholarship or a Research Assistant under the project “MagIC – Petrology and Geochemistry of Igneous Rocks from Macao: Implications for the Crustal Evolution of Southern China / 项目: 澳门火成岩之岩石学与地球化学—对华南地壳演化的影响), reference no. 043/2014/A1, financed by Science and Technology Development Fund from Macau (FDCT – Fundo para o Desenvolvimento das Ciências e da Tecnologia). More information about the project at http://www.sel.usj.edu.mo/projects/magic/
Qualifications required: We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with a BSc degree Environmental/Geography/Earth Sciences/IT or related areas. Candidates must be fluent in English. Relevant experience with the application and use of geographical information systems (GIS) will be valued.
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software.
- Perform research to obtain and expand existing datasets
- Compile geographic and demographic data from many sources
- Compile data for statistics to incorporate into documents and reports
- Build, manipulate, and update databases
- Enter new map data using cartographic principles
- Analyse and model relationships between geographic data sets
- Helping in the maintenance of the Magic web page.
- Schedule should to be agreed with the supervisor (Professor Ágata Alveirinho Dias, email@example.com);
- Salary: 10.000 MOP/month;
- Duration: 12 months
Selection criteria: Previous works with GIS: 40%; Previous IT experience: 20%; Academic qualifications: 20%; Interview and motivation letter 20%.
Reporting responsibilities: The MSc Student or Research Assistant will regularly report to the lab coordinator, Professor Ágata Alveirinho Dias. If requested, the Research Assistant will need to provide a written activity report to the lab coordinator. The Research Assistant may also be requested to orally present work related with technical aspects of his/her activity.
How to apply: Candidates should send a copy of their CV’s (English) and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates can also use this email for any queries regarding the position. After CV evaluation, short-listed candidates will be called for an interview with the project coordinator.