Under the new call for postdoctoral researchers of the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT), the Institute of Science and Environment (ISE) of the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) under a fixed-term contract (24 months). The candidate will work in the group of Professor Ágata Alveirinho Dias, applying geochemical methods in combination with mineralogical studies to address questions related with the formation, distribution and preservation of seafloor massive sulfide deposits. Depending on the candidate profile, the work can be mainly focused in one of the following topics: (1) understand and constrain the physical and chemical processes of seafloor mineralization, or; (2) understand the contribution of serpentinization processes in the formation of seafloor hydrothermal deposits.
Job summary and duties
- Perform independent work on mineralogy/petrography and geochemistry (including isotopic analyses) of hydrothermal deposits and hosted rocks;
- Availability to participate in oceanographic missions;
- Availability to travel to partner institutions in Europe, China and elsewhere;
- Report results in conferences, reports and scientific publications;
- Participate in other activities of the lab, such as science promotion events, workshops or internal meetings.
- Collaborate in the supervision of Master and Doctoral students.
- PhD in geology or related areas;
- Strong domain in mineralogy and geochemistry of ore deposits and/or in petrology and geochemistry of mafic/ultramafic rocks;
- Experience in mineralogical and geochemical techniques (e.g. petrographic microscopy, EPMA, SEM-EDS, XRD, isotopic analyses);
- Previous work in hydrothermal systems.
The applicant must comply with USJ criteria for postdoctoral researchers and the requirements of the funding body: FDCT. Applicants who do not meet any of the following requirements will be deemed ineligible:
- Doctoral degree obtained in the last three years;
- Meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Obtained a doctoral degree from any of the top 200 universities listed in the latest global ranking by Times, QS, US News or ARWU;
- Obtained a doctoral degree in an area relevant to the position in any of the top 100 universities listed in the latest global subject rankings by Times, QS, US News or ARWU;
- Obtained a doctoral degree from any of the universities in the latest list of the ‘Double World Class’ project universities released by China’s Ministry of Education, or from the Chinese Academy of Sciences;
- Obtained a doctoral degree from any of the higher education institutions listed in the Guangdong High Level University Development Program in any of the nine mainland cities in the Greater Bay Area or, for those who graduated from any of the higher education institutions in Macao, won the Macao Scientific and Technological Research and Development Award for Postgraduates (for PhD students);
- Published at least two research papers as first author in any of the Q1 SCI journals within the field of specialization concerned.
- Demonstration of an English proficiency level of C1 or above. The selection panel reserves the right to request applicants to take an English level placement test at USJ.
The contract is expected to start in 01 January 2020 and has a duration of 24 months. Work will take place at the Institute of Science and Environment of the University of Saint Joseph, NAPE campus, Macao. Working schedule is of 40 hours per week with a gross monthly remuneration of MOP 40,000.00 (~USD 4,950.00)/month. Maximum professional tax in Macao is 12%.
Only applications submitted in English and to the email firstname.lastname@example.org until November 08, 2019, will be considered. Applications are considered to be submitted only after the candidate has received a confirmation e-mail from ISE. Applications should include the following elements:
- Motivation letter (including a self-evaluation of the relevance of the activities and scientific publications for the position and career development plan);
- Detailed CV with full publication list;
- Single PDF with up to 5 selected publications from the last 5 years;
- Copy of doctoral certificate;
- Documentary evidence supporting the application requirements listed in “Eligibility criteria” (degree certificates, awards certificates, digital copies of publications);
- Up to three reference letters (optional).
Evaluation and selection process
The selection process is divided in three phases:
Phase 1. All candidates are evaluated in respect to the exclusion criteria. Candidates that do not comply with these criteria will be excluded;
Phase 2. Each candidate will be scored from 0 to 100 points. Members of the selection panel (3) will independently score each candidate in the following areas:
- Quality of the 5 scientific publications over the last 5 years selected by the candidate;
- Other scientific outputs over the last 5 years (publications, presentations in meetings, etc.);
- Knowledge of relevant techniques, methods and concepts relevant for the position;
- Motivation and reference letters;
- Activities of applied research (patents, knowledge transfer);
- Experience in project proposals preparation, submission and management;
- Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, namely in the promotion of science.
Candidates will be ranked by the average of the scores given by the three members of the selection panel.
Phase 3. Short-listed candidates will be called for interview. Each member of the selection panel will independently score the interview from 0 to 100 and an average score for the interview will be calculated for each candidate. The interview score will have a final weight of 20% in the final ranking of candidates.
In the event of a draw of the final scores of the top candidates, the decision will be taken by the chair of the selection panel. The chair of the selection panel reserves the right to close the call without any recruitment if no candidate has the necessary profile, if funding conditions have changed during the recruitment phase or by any other reasons deemed relevant. If the selected candidate does not accept the position or resigns during the contract, the selection panel reserves the right to assign the post to the next ranked candidate, to close the post or to re-open the post.
Publication of results
All candidates will receive their final classification and relative rank position by email (same as used to submit the proposal) within one month after the end of the application period. Candidates will be contacted according to ranked order until the position is filled.
Acceptance and start of the position: The selected candidate is expected to accept the position within one week after decision has been communicated, after which the chair of the selection panel reserves the right to invite the next ranked candidate. After acceptance, and in the case of non-residents of Macao, the University will assist the candidate in applying to a work permit. Post-doctoral fees are due according to the approved University tables available at https://www.usj.edu.mo/en/admissions/tuition-fees/.