Research Gate: Andreia Ramos
ORCID: Andreia Ramos
- 2008 BSc in Aquatic Science
- 2010 MSc in Marine Science
- 2019 Post-Graduation in Primary Education Teaching
- 2020 Post-Graduation in Secondary Education Teaching
ACADEMIC PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
2014 to 2020, PhD at the Institute of Science and Environment
My major interest is animal behaviour. So far worked in different behaviours expressed in different ways, mostly acoustic and visual displays. Simultaneously, I’m interested in decoding the role of androgens during unsolved fight contests.
As a marine scientist, I always used fish as study model.
SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
FIGHT – Hormonal, pheromonal and genomic regulation of aggression in a fish model” 決鬥– 魚模型的攻擊性以荷爾蒙、費洛蒙及基因之調控. FDCT0093/2017/A2, 2017-2020 (PhD student).
- Ramos, A., Alex, D., Cardoso, S., Gonçalves, D. (submitted) Androgens and corticosteroids increase in response to mirror images and interacting conspecifics in males of the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. Hormones and Behaviour.
- Valdoria, C., Ramos,A., Lam,M.K., Amorim,M.C.P., Vasconcelos, R.O (in prep.) The social role of acoustic and visual signaling during ontogenetic development in the territorial Lusitanian toadfish
- Ramos, A., Gonçalves, D. (2019) Artificial selection for males winners in the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens correlates with high female aggression. Frontiers of Zoology. http://doi.org/10.1186/s12983-019-0333-x
- Shi, C. Law, H., Ren, Z., Xu, Q., Liu, Q., Wang, J., Chen, W., Shao, L., Gonçalves, D., Ramos, A., Cardoso, S.D., Guo, M., Cai, J., Xu, X., Wang, J., Yang, H., Liu, X., Wang, Y.(2018) Chromosome-level reference genome of the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens, a model species for the study of aggression. GigaScience.
- Vasconcelos, R.O., Alderks, P.W., Ramos, A., Fonseca, P.J., Amorim,M.C.P., Sisnero, J.A.(2015) Vocal differentiation parallels development of auditory saccular sensitivity in a highly soniferous fish. Journal of Experimental Biology
- Vasconcelos, R.O., Carriço, R., Ramos, A., Modesto, T., Fonseca,P. J., Amorim, M.C.P. (2012) Vocal behaviour predicts reproductive sucess in a teleost fish. Behavioral Ecology. DOI:10.1093/beheco/arr199
- Ramos, A., Fonseca, P. J, Modesto, T., Almada, V.C., Amorim, M. C. P. (2012) Alloparental behaviour in the highly vocal Lusitanian toadfish. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, pp. 58-62. DOI 10.1016/j.jembe.2012.07.002
- Ramos A. School Garden Project. Urban Sustainability Course – Wisely designing our urban cities and protecting the environment. Macau (March 2019)
- Ramos, A. and Gonçalves, D. Comparable behavioural and endocrine responses to mirror images and interacting conspecifics in the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. XV Conference of Sociedade Portuguesa de Etologia. Lisbon, Portugal (December 2020)
- Ramos A. and Gonçalves D. Selection for male aggression enhances female aggression in the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. The 46th meeting of Australasian Society for the Study of Animal Behaviour. Brisbane. Australia ( July 2018)
- Ramos A. and Gonçalves D. Domesticated but fierce – The case of Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. XIV Conference of Sociedade Portuguesa de Etologia. Lisbon, Portugal (July 2017)
- Ramos, A., Modesto, T., Fonseca, P. J., Amorim, M. C.P. Parental and alloparental behaviour in a strongly vocal fish. 3rd Symposium on Acoustic Communication by Animals, Ithaca, New York (August 2011)
- Ramos A. and Gonçalves D. Androgens don’t drive me crazy. International Congress of Neuroethology. Brisbane, Australia July 2018
- Ramos A. and Gonçalves D. 2017. Effects of estrogen-like endocrine disruptors in aggressive behavior in the siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. Behaviour. Estoril, Portugal July 30-August 4.
- Ramos, A., Podlesná, M., Lam, F., Gonçalves, D. Selection for aggressive behavior in the Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens. 53rd Annual Conference of the Animal Behavior Society. (USA, 2016)
- Ramos, A.,Valdoria, C. and Vasconcelos, R. O. Differentiation of vocal patterns in a singing fish. Gordon Conference on Modulation of Neural Circuits and Behavior. (Hong Kong, 2015)
- Ramos, A., Amorim, M.C.P. & Fonseca, P.J. How well toadfish sounds propagate in estuarine shallow waters? XXIII IBAC. La Rochelle, France (September 2011).
- Ramos, A., Amorim, M.C.P. & Fonseca, P.J. Propagation of Lusitanian toadfish sounds in estuarine shallow waters. The Effects of noise on Aquatic Life – Second International Conference, Cork, Ireland (August 2010)