ÁGATA ALVEIRINHO DIAS
PhD in Geology (Crystallography, Mineralogy and Metallogeny; Univ. Lisbon); MSc in Dynamic Geology (FCUL); Graduation in Geology (FCUL). POST-DOC ACTIVITIES: (1) Arctic ultra-low spreading ridges: Jan Mayen and Loki’s Castle Hydrothermal fields, integrated in an European project (H2Deep-EUROCORES); (2) Seafloor hydrothermal systems and associated mineral deposits in the Portuguese EEZ and adjacent areas (FCT: SFRH/BPD/68648).
Marine geochemistry, mineralogy and petrology; Deep-sea hydrothermal systems and associated deposits; Magmatic and Ultramafic systems; Isotopic geochemistry and geochronology.
- Luso2009 – Scientist in on board of NRP Almirante Gago Coutinho (PT) with the ROV (Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle) Luso; Governmental Task Group for the Portuguese Continental Shelf Extension (EMEPC); Azores island slopes geomorphology and geology and scientific studies for the Portuguese continental shelf extension in the Atlantic Ocean. Coordinator of survey dives at AMAR region.
- Luso2008 – Scientist in on board NRP Almirante Gago Coutinho (PT) with the ROV Luso; Scientific studies for the Portuguese continental shelf extension in the Atlantic Ocean; Governmental Task Group for the Portuguese Continental Shelf Extension (EMEPC); Coordinator of the sediment corers sampling PI: Manuel Pinto de Abreu e Nuno Lourenço.
- H2Deep (leg)- Scientist and gravity core drilling coordinator at leg 2, on board of G.O. SARS (Norway) with the ROV Bathysaurus; Survey of hydrothermal systems from Ultraslow spreading ridges. European cruise (EuroMARC Project).
- CD167 (SEAHMA) – Scientist and gravity core drilling coordinator on board of RRS Charles Darwin (UK). The aim of the cruise was the geological and geophysical survey of the Saldanha hydrothermal system (Mid-Atlantic Ridge).
- SEAHMA 1 – Scientist on board of Atalante (IFREMER) with ROV Victor. MAR seafloor research Portuguese mission (Seahma project/FCT); Participation as researcher and responsible of ROV research dives (FCUL).
- SALDANHA – Scientist on board of NADIR (IFREMER), with a deep diving submersible – NAUTILE (IFREMER). MAR seafloor research. Participation as researcher and coordinator of one of the Nautile submersible dives. Portuguese and French mission financed by Portuguese Government funds (Programa PRAXIS XXI).
- PLAMIBEL I – Junior scientist on board Auriga oceanographic vessel. Portuguese mission (IH – Portuguese Hydrographic Institute) with collaboration of Bordéus University. Research participation. Study of the Portuguese continental shelf between Douro and Minho rivers and the turbiditic plumes connected with rivers from northern.
SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- SeaMIN – In-situ trace elemental and isotopic constraints on modern seafloor massive sulfide mineralization – 现代海底块状硫化物成矿作用的原位微量元素和同位素限制 FDCT File No.: 0041/2021/A1, 2021-2024 (Principal Investigator)
- SWIMAR – The role of ultramafic-hosted hydrothermal systems in the formation of seafloor deposits: comparison between SWIR and MAR fields/超基性岩系海底熱泉系統於海床熱液礦床扮演之角色:以 SWIR 及 MAR 熱泉系統相互比較為例. FDCT File No.: 002/2018/A1, 2018-2021 (Principal Investigator)
- SMSMOR – Seafloor Massive Sulfides Resource along Mid-Ocean Ridges. InterRidge Working Group. on http://www.interridge.org/WG_SMS_MOR (team member)
- Mag.I.C. – Petrology and Geochemistry of Igneous Rocks from Macao: Implications for the Crustal Evolution of Southern China. FDCT File No.: 043/2014/A1, 2015-2018.
- BLUE MINING – Breakthrough Solutions for the Sustainable Exploration and Extraction of Deep Sea Mineral Resources. FP7 (7th research framework programme), EU Research Projects. Proj. ref.: 604500, 2014-2018
- H2DEEP – Ultra-slow spreading and hydrogen-based deep biosphere (H2DEEP). EuroMARC Project (ESF) No. ERAS-CT-2003-980409 of the European Commission. EUROCORES Program – EuroMarc /0001/2007, 2007-2013
- SEAHMA – Seafloor and Sub-seafloor Hydrothermal Modelling in the Azores Sea POCTI/P/MAR/15281/1999. 2001-2008 (team member)
- MOMAR – Monitoring the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: MOMAR I, 1998; MOMAR II, 2002.
- AMAR – Localização e Caracterização de Fontes Hidrotermais no Segmento AMAR: FCT (Praxis XXI) 1997-98
- AMORES – Azores. Mid-Oceanic Ridge Ecosystem Studies: MAS3-CT95-0040) – EU – MAST III 1996 – 1998 (Team member)
- MARFLUX / ATJ – Study of Hydrothermal Fluxes in the Azores Triple Junction – EU – 1994-1996
- “The Earth’s Last Frontier – Mysteries of the Deep Sea / 地球最後的樂土 – 深海探索 ” Macau Foundation project Ref. No. MF/2014/25, May 2015. (coordinator)
- “Mesozoic magmatism of Macao and Hong Kong in the context of SE China geodynamics – 澳門 與香港的中生代岩漿作用”, Macau Foundation project Ref. No. MF/2016/08, March 2017 (coordinator)
- “Wetland ecosystems as a nature-based solution for climate change adaptation and mitigation in Macao” CTW/2021 (team member)
- “Nature-based solutions for a cleaner and safer Macao” CTW/2020 (team member)
- Ding T, Dias Á A, Wang J, Tan T, Liang J, Wu B, Tao C (2023) Serpentinization and its implications for ultramafic-hosted sulfide mineralization: a case study at the Tianzuo hydrothermal field, 63.5°E, Southwest Indian Ridge. Marine Geology. 106969: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2022.106969
- Liao S, Tao C, Wen H, Yang W, Liu J, Jamieson JW, Dias Á A, Zhu C, Liang J, Li W, Ding T, Li X, Zhang H (2022) Hydrothermal remobilization of subseafloor sulfide mineralization along mid-ocean ridges contributes to the global oceanic zinc isotopic mass balance. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 335, 56-67: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2022.08.022
- Qiu Z, Tao C, Ma W, Dias Á A, Hu S, Shao Y, Yang K, Zhang W (2022) Material Source of Sediments from West Clarion–Clipperton Zone (Pacific): Evidence from Rare Earth Element Geochemistry and Clay Minerals Compositions. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering., 10,1052: https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse10081052
- Yang W, Liao S, Dias Á A, Liang J, Li W, Ding T, & Tao, C. (2022). Geochemistry, sulfur and lead isotopic composition of hydrothermal sulfide from the Duanqiao hydrothermal field on the Southwest Indian Ridge: implications for ore genesis. International Geology Review, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1080/00206814.2022.2081937
- Ding T, Wang J, Tao C, Dias Á A, Liang J, Wang Y, Chen J, Wu B, Huang H. (2022) Trace-element compositions of sulfides from inactive Tianzuo hydrothermal field, Southwest Indian Ridge: implications for ultramafic rocks hosting mineralization. Ore Geology Reviews, 104421: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169136821004479
- Yu J,Tao C, Liaob S, Dias Á A, Liang J,Yangb W, Zhud C (2021) Resource estimation of the sulfide-rich deposits of the Yuhuang-1 hydrothermal field on the ultraslow-spreading Southwest Indian Ridge. Ore Geology Reviews, 104169 : https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2021.104169
- Quelhas, P, Borgens. R, Dias, A. Á, Ribeiro, L, Costa, P Mata, J. (2021) Geological Map of the Macao Special Administrative Region (China). (2021) Journal of Maps, 17 (2)257-267. https://doi.org/10.1080/17445647.2021.1906340
- Quelhas, P, Mata J and Dias, A Á (2021) Magmatic evolution of garnet-bearing highly fractionated granitic rocks from Macao, Southeast China: Implications for granite-related mineralization processes. Journal of Earth Sciences. JES-07-2020-0330. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12583-020-1389-4
- Quelhas P, Mata J, Dias Á A (2021) Evidences for mixed contribution of mantle, lower and upper crust to the genesis of Jurassic I~type granites from Macao, SE China. GSA Bulletin. 133 (1-2): 37–56.. https://doi.org/10.1130/B35552.1
- Ding T, Tao C, Dias Á A. Liang J, Chen J, Wu B, Zhang R, Liao S, Wang Y, Yang W, Liu J, Li W, Zhang G, Huang H (2020) Sulfur isotopic compositions of sulfides along the Southwest Indian Ridge: implications for sulfide mineralization in ultramafic rocks. Mineralium Deposita.56, 991–1006 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00126-020-01025-0
- Milinovic J, Dias Á A, Janeiro A. Pereira M. Martins S, Petersen, SIM and Barriga F J A SIM (2020) XRD identification of ore minerals during cruises: Refinement of extraction procedure with sodium acetate buffer. Minerals. 10(2), 160. 1-19 https://doi.org/10.3390/min10020160
- Quelhas, P., Dias, A. Á, Mata, J., Don, D., Ribeiro, L. (2020) High-precision geochronology of Mesozoic magmatism in Macao, Southeast China: evidence for multistage granite emplacement. Geoscience Frontiers. 11, 1. 243-263 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsf.2019.04.011
- Liao S, Tao C, Dias Á A, Su X, Yang Z, Ni, Liang J, Yang W, Liu J, Li W, Dong C (2019) Surface sediment composition and distribution of hydrothermal derived elements at the Duanqiao-1 hydrothermal field, Southwest Indian Ridge. Marine Geology, 417, 105975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2019.105975
- Quelhas, P., Mata, J., Lou, U. T., Ribeiro, M. L., Borges, R., Dias, Á (2018). A origem e evolução dos magmas graníticos de Macao à luz de dados de geoquímica elementar e isotópica / Source and evolution of Macao granitic magmas: insights from wholerock geochemistry and isotopic signatures. XIV Congresso de Geoquímica dos Países de Língua Portuguesa e XIX Semana de Geoquímica (XIV CGPLP/XIX SG, international conference). 25-29 March 2018, Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal.
- Dias Á A, Fruh-Green G L, Bernasconi S M, Barriga F J A S and Seahma and Charles Darwin 167 cruise teams, (2011) Geochemistry and stable isotopes constraints on high-temperature activity from sediment cores of the Saldanha field. Marine Geology 279 (2011) 128–140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2010.10.017: TOP 25 HOTTEST ARTICLES
- Dias Á S , Mills R A, Ribeiro da Costa I, Costa R, Taylor R N, Cooper M, and Barriga F J A S, (2010). Tracing fluid-rock reaction and hydrothermal circulation at the Saldanha hydrothermal field. Chemical Geology, 273(3-4): 168-179. doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2010.02.020
- Dias Á S, Mills R A Taylor R N, Ferreira, P and Barriga, F J A S (2008). Geochemistry of a sediment push-core from the Lucky Strike hydrothermal field, Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Chemical Geology, 247(3-4): 339-351. doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2007.10.015
- Dias Á S. and Barriga F. (2006) Mineralogy and geochemistry of hydrothermal sediments from the serpentinite-hosted Saldanha hydrothermal field (36834VN; 33826VW) at MAR. Marine Geology. 225, 157–175. doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2005.07.013
- Dias Á S and Barriga, F J A S, (2005). Mineralogical and geochemical hydrothermal evidences on sediments from the serpentinite-hosted Saldanha hydrothermal field. Mineral Deposit Research. 1: 603-606. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F3-540-27946-6_154
- Miranda J M, Silva P F, Lourenço N, Henry B, Costa R and Saldanha Team (Dias, Á S included) (2002) Study of the Saldanha massif (MAR, 36º34´N): Constrains from rock magnetic and geophysical data. Marine Geophysical Researches 23: 299–318. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:102571150212223
- Dias Á A, Relvas JMRS, Marques AF, Qiu W, Barriga FJAS, Ribeiro L & Calado A (2022) Variability of the hydrothermal fields within the Portuguese seafloor (MAR) Goldschmidt2022:https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2022.11686
- Qiu W, Dias Á A, Costa IMA & Barriga F (2022) The evolution of sulfur isotope in hydrothermal fluids along the formation of chimney of Menez Gwen (MAR): mineralization implications Goldschmidt2022:https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2022.10761
- Costa P & Dias Á A (2022) Geochemical and mineralogical investigations of seafloor oxyhydroxides deposits collected in Mid-Atlantic Ridge hydrothermal fields Goldschmidt2020:https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2022.11676
- Relvas JMRS; Barriga, FJAS; Pinto A; Marques AF; Carvalho J; Dias Á A (2022) “Replacement or plume fallout? Both, please! Evidence from active and fossil VMS systems.”. Paper presented in 16th SGA Biennial Meeting 2022 The critical role of minerals in the carbon-neutral future, New Zeland
- Dias Á A, Qiu W, Barriga FJAS & Tao C (2020) Sub-Seafloor Sulfide Mineralization in the Saldanha Hydrothermal Field, Mid-Atlantic Ridge (MAR). Goldschmidt2020: https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2020.44
- Qiu W, Dias ÁA, Costa IMA & Barriga F (2020) Ore-Forming Process of the Menez Gwen Hydrothermal Field: In situ S Isotopes and Trace Metals Constraints Goldschmidt2020: https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2020.2143
- Costa P, Dias Á A (2020) Oxyhydroxide Hydrothermal Crusts from Saldanha Hydrothermal Field Goldschmidt2020: https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2020.478
- Dias Á A (2019) Diving into the unknown: robotics as tools to study the deep-sea. IROS
- Costa P and Dias Á A (2019) Hydrothermal Fe-Mn deposits from low-temperature systems of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. InterRidge Workshop on Hydrothermal Ore-forming Processes, Hangzhou
- Qiu W, Dias Á A, Barriga F, Tao C (2019) Sulfide mineralization of the Saldanha hydrothermal field (MAR): constraints from sulfur isotope in-situ microanalysis. InterRidge Workshop on Hydrothermal Ore-forming Processes, Hangzhou.
- Dias Á A, Costa P. Marques AF, Ribeiro L, Madureira P, Calado A, Gonçalves E & Morato T (2019) Geochemistry of Fe-Si-(Mn) Chimneys from Luso Vent Field, MAR. Goldschmidt 2019. 10i, 445. Barcelona. https://goldschmidt.info/2019/abstracts/abstractView?id=2019003072
- Quelhas P, Dias Á A, Mata J & Wayne Davis D (2019) Geochronological, geochemical and petrographic constraints on incremental pluton growth: the case of Macao granitic suite. Goldschmidt 2019. 06g, 258. Barcelona. https://goldschmidt.info/2019/abstracts/abstractView?id=2019004459
- P. Quelhas, J. Mata, U.T. Lou, R. Borges, M.L. Ribeiro, Dias Á A(2017) New geochemical constraints on I-type granites of Macao: evidences for fractional crystallization and petrogenetic affinities with Jurassic-Cretaceous granites in SE China. Goldschmidt2017 . Paris
- Milinovic J, Barriga F, Dias Á, Martins S, Pereira M & Janeiro A (2017) Offshore Assessment of Minerals in Deep-Sea Sediments from the TAG-Area (26°N, 44°W). Goldschmidt2017. Paris.
- Quelhas P M, Mata J, Lou U T, Ribeiro M R and Dias A Á (2016) Mesozoic Granitic Magmatism in Macao, Southeast China. AGU Fall meeting 12-16 December 2016, San Francisco, USA
- Dias Á A, Quelhas P, Lou U, Mata J & Ribeiro M L (2016) Petrology and Geochemistry of Granitic Rocks from Macao. Goldschmidt2016. 61, 05c – 665. Yokohama, Japan. July. http://goldschmidt.info/2016/uploads/abstracts/finalPDFs/665.pdf
- Dias, Á A and Barriga, F (2015) Saldanha hydrothermal field: the role of the sediment-cover in the preservation of ore-forming minerals. Third InterRidge Theoretical Institute:Magmatic and Tectonic Processes and Seabed Resources at Mid-Ocean Ridges; Hangzhou, China. Sept.
- Cruz M I, Marques F A M, Dias Á S, Pedersen R, Barriga F J A S (2014) Sr and Nd isotopic composition of Jan Mayen and Loki’s Castle: a progress report. 43rd Underwater Mining Institute · Sept.
- Cruz MI, Marques A F, Dias Á S, Pedersen R, Relvas J M R S, Barriga F J A S, (2013) Sulfide Sites in the Arctic Ocean: Jan Mayen and Loki’s Castle, Mineralogical Magazine. Goldschmidt2013, April.
- Cruz M I, Dias Á S, , Pedersen R.B, Relvas J M R S, Fonseca RBarriga F J A S (2013) Sulphide mineralization in Arctic seafloor hydrothermal fields: extending the European exploration area to the Far North, ERA-MIN. Mar.
- Relvas, J M R S, Barriga, F J A S, Costa, I M R, Cruz, I M, Dias, Á S, Marques, A F A, Pinto, AMM (2012). Massive Sulfide Mineralization in Relic and Modern Seafloor. Ophiolite and Related Ore and Industrial Minerals, Karadeniz Technical University, Department of Geological Engineering, Trabzon, Turkey, 16-22 May.
- Dias Á S, Cruz I, Fonseca R, Barriga F J A S, Pedersen, R B (2011) Trollveggen Vent Field: Mineralogy and geochemistry of chimneys and deposits, and evidence of hydrothermal activity in far-field cores. Final EuroMARC conference, Feb.
- Cruz MI, Dias Á S, Carvalho C, Barriga F J A S, Relvas J M R S, Fonseca R, Pedersen R (2011) Loki’s Castle Arctic Vents and Host Sediments: Mineralogy and Geochemistry, Final EuroMarc Conference, Feb.
- Cruz M I, Dias Á S, Relvas J M R S, Carvalho C, Fonseca R, Pedersen R.B, Barriga F J A S (2011) Geochemistry of the Artic Loki’s Castle hydrothermal vent products. Goldschmidt Conference Abstracts. Mineralogical Magazine 75:p708. http://goldschmidtabstracts.info/2011/708.pdf.
- Dias Á S, Cruz I, Fonseca R, Barriga F J A S, Pedersen, R B (2010) Mineralogy and Geochemistry from Trollveggen Vent Field Chimneys and Metalliferous Sediments (Mohns Ridge, West Jan Mayen Fracture Zone at 71°N). American Geophysical Union (AGU), OS21A-1483. Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, AGU’s online supplement http://www.agu.org/pubs/eos-news/supplements/
- Barriga F J A S, Fonseca R,Dias Á A, Cruz I M, R Carvalho C, Relvas J M, Pedersen R B (2010) Acid-Extractable Geochemistry from the Loki’s Castle Hydrothermal Field, Norwegian Sea at 74 degrees N (South Knipovich Ridge). American Geophysical Union ( AGU), OS21A-1484 Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, AGU’s online supplement http://www.agu.org/pubs/eos-news/supplements/
- Cruz MI, Barriga FJAS, Carvalho C,Dias Á A, Fonseca R, Relvas JMRS, Pedersen R (2010) Loki’s Castle Arctic vents and host sediments: Arctic large scale hydrothermal fields. Ciencia 2010. Lisbon, Jully, 2010.
- Barriga FJAS, Carvalho C, Cruz MI, Dias Á A, Fonseca R, Relvas JM, Pedersen R (2010) Preliminary Results on Mineralogy and Geochemistry of Loki’s Castle Arctic Vents and Host Sediments.Geophysical Research Abstract. Vol12, EGU2010-11970, European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2010
- Barriga F J A S, Fonseca, Dias Á A, Cruz I M, R Carvalho C, Relvas J M, Pedersen R B (2010) Acid-Extractable Geochemistry from the Loki’s Castle Hydrothermal Field, Norwegian Sea at 74 degrees N (South Knipovich Ridge). American Geophysical Union (AGU), OS21A-1484.Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Unionhttp://www.agu.org/pubs/eos-news/supplements/
- Barriga F J A S, Carvalho C, Cruz I M, Dias Á S, Fonseca R, Relvas J M, Pedersen R B (2010) Mineralogy and geochemistry of Loki’s Castle Arctic vents and host sediments: preliminary results.EGU (European Geosciences Union) General Assembly. Vienna, Austria.
- Barriga F, Fouquet Y, Almeida A, Biscoito M, Charlou JL, Costa R, Dias Á A, et al. (1998) Discovery of Saldanha Hydrothermal Filed on the FAMOUS segment of the MAR (36º30’N). Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union. 79(45):67